UNION BAPTIST CHURCH RECORDS
SOURCE: Martha Cousins, 1986 & 1988
SIZE: .7 linear feet
SHELVING UNITS: 8 volumes
PROCESSED: PHW, April 2001
Union Baptist Church was founded on October 4, 1844, in the St. Mark's Community in Meriwether County, Georgia. Reverend B. Holmes was the first preacher and Reverend William Prather donated land for the church and cemetery. A 100th Anniversary celebration was held on October 4, 1944, and 400 former and current members attended. Union Baptist Church has lost its building twice in its history. On April 15, 1884, a tornado destroyed the church building. On May 6, 1956, the church was destroyed by fire. A new facility was dedicated on August 9, 1959. Some of the material in this collection is from Hephzibah Baptist Church, which began operation in 1829 and disbanded in 1851. A deacon from Hephzibah, named Thomas Jones, brought the minute book to Union Baptist Church. Numerous other members from Hephzibah joined Union Baptist Church after their church disbanded.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The eight volumes in the collection consist primarily of minutes from 1829-1979. Volume one was originally records of the Hephzibah Baptist Church. It contains a constitution, church covenant, and minutes from 1829-1851. An unused portion of the book was used to record the minutes of Union Baptist Church from 1896-1912. The remaining volumes pertain solely to Union Baptist Church. Volume two contains a constitution, rules of decorum, an article of faith, membership lists, and minutes from 1844-1856. Volumes three through seven consist of minutes, membership list, memorials (written tributes to deceased members), and some financial records from 1875-1979. Volume eight is a treasurer's book from January 1927-December 1929.
1 1829-1912 (minutes of Hephzibah Baptist Church, 1829-1851 & Union Baptist Church, 1896-1912)
8 Treasurer's Book, January 1927-December 1929
Churches - Meriwether County
Churches - Troup County
Hephzibah Baptist Church
St. Mark's Community