THE HARBOR, INC.
SOURCE: George Smith
SHELVING UNIT: 1 Storage Box
PROCESSING: BNJ, 2008
The Harbor, Inc., a local charitable organization for the treatment and rehabilitation of alcoholics, was incorporated on December 15, 1955, in Troup County. The facility was located north of LaGrange in the old Hillcrest School building on U. S. 27, New Franklin Road. During its existence, the Rev. George Smith served as superintendent. The center could house as many as 22 alcoholics at a time. Clients were required to live at the facility for a period of five to six weeks and cook, clean, and take care of the grounds. The Harbor, Inc., relied upon public donations to finance its work.
In September, 1979, the Harbor, Inc. filed for dissolution of its charter, which had originally been granted for a period of 35 years. According to Calvin Spinks, president of the Board of Directors in a LaGrange Daily News article, September 18, 1979, there was no lack of patients, but people no longer needed to spend six weeks away from their families for rehabilitation when they could more easily attend government out-patient clinics.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection consists of three volumes of Board minutes and financial statements for the duration of the Harbor’s existence. Of interest are the improvements to the facility and the dedication shown by Rev. Smith and the board to the goals of the organization. Five separate volumes list contributions made to the Harbor by community groups, individuals and churches. Newsletters that show the work and testimony of residences are included as are letters from men treated at the Harbor and their families.
1 Newsletters and brochures, 1958-1965
2 Thank you letters and other correspondence, 1959-1980
1 Minutes, October 1955-December 1964
2 Minutes, January 1965-July 1973
3 Minutes, January 1974-1980
4-8 Contributions, 1967-1979
9 Building Fund, 1965-1979
TRP 268 Harbor Board of Directors, 1967
MS-158ph Board members, buildings
Service Organizations—Troup County