TABARD BOOK CLUB
SOURCE: Catherine Holmes,Tabard Book Club, 2006
SIZE: .3 linear foot
SHELVING UNITS: 1 manuscript box
PROCESSING:NAD, June 2006
According to article two of its constitution, the purpose of the Tabard Book Club, was “to stimulate interest in literature, chiefly contemporary, and in world events of general interest.” The club was founded in 1956. The club derived its name from The Tabard Inn, the inn used in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. Initially, the club met once a month, except for June, July, and August. In May 2005, the club sent boxes of paperback books to Iraq for U.S. servicemen. The club remains active.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The bulk of the collection is a complete set of minutes spanning the years 1960-2005. The majority of the minutes in the 1960s denote only the host, the book, and the book reviewer. The minutes from the 1970s forward cover the meetings in detail. Meetings included book reviews, refreshments, and occasionally current events. Correspondence, news articles, fiftieth anniversary information, and Constitution and By-Laws from 1956, 1981, 1985, 1996, and 1999 complete the collection. Photographs of club members and activities are also available.
Folder1-6 1960-2005 Minutes, correspondence, and host/book reviewer sign-up sheets
7 Constitution and By-Laws 1956, 1981, 1985, 1996, 1999
8 50thAnniversary Information
Folder 1: Club members and activities
Women- Societies and Clubs