ST ELIZABETH SCHOOL RECORDS
SIZE: 3 volumes
SHELVING UNIT: 1 manuscript box
PROCESSING: BNJ, 2010
In 1910, St. Mark's Episcopal Church in LaGrange, expressing a concern about the education of African Americans, organized St. Elizabeth Episcopal Mission. In 1914, land on Revis Street was deeded to the mission and a two-story church built.
St. Elizabeth School provided free schooling to approximately 70 children, grades one through six, who could not attend the public school system due to lack of classrooms and teachers. The original building was destroyed by fire in April 1932 and a new building constructed in 1934. The church closed in 1996 due to declining membership.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection consists of three volumes listing names of students, their attendance records and names and addresses of parents. Some poems, perhaps written by a teacher or principal, are included as are some financial records noting donations to the school by parents.
1 folder - news clippings
St. Marks Episcopal Church