ST. JOHN’S CHURCH RECORDS

Manuscript MS-164

1916-1970

SOURCE: Mrs. Clinton Worthy, 1998

SIZE: .2 linear feet

SHELVING UNITS: 5 volumes

PROCESSING: PHW May, 2001

 

HISTORICAL NOTE

St. John's Methodists Church was founded on April 5, 1892, to serve the population of LaGrange Mills' workers. Founded by Ladies of First Methodist Church as a mission to the mill village, the church was originally called Second Methodist Episcopal Church South. The church building was a Gothic style chapel erected in 1892 on the corner of Hines and Addie Streets and was dedicated by Bishop Warren Candler in 1893. While in existence, it was the third oldest Methodist church in LaGrange. The church dissolved in 1974, and from 1976 to 1980, the building was occupied by S & T Furniture. The church building still stands today but was moved by Richard and Betty Daniel in 1982 to save it from destruction due to the creation of Lafayette Parkway. The structure was converted into a restaurant called "A Taste of Lemon" and is located on the corner of Morgan and Broome Streets.

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

Contained within the five volumes of this collection are membership records, registers of pastors, marriages, infant baptisms, financial records, and minutes. The membership records and registers may include the name, when they were received, the pastor, and how they left (whether by letter, expulsion, or death). Minutes include information on church attendance and extracurricular activities. Volume One contains information regarding St. James Church of Hogansville. Included are a roll of Church officers for 1918 & 1919, references to funds raised by the Church from 1919-1920, and a report to the quarterly conference on July 18, 1920.

 

CONTAINER LIST

Volume:

1 Minutes, 1916-1920 (includes St. James Church)
2 Minutes, 1921-1925
3 Register, 1900-1924
4 Register, 1925-1946
5 Membership Record, c.1952-1970

 

TRACINGS

Churches - Troup County
St. James Church, Hogansville
Calumet Community, LaGrange