SOUTHERN FEMALE COLLEGE RECORDS
SOURCE: Susie Denny, Dr. Leland Parks, Mary R. Moses, Mae S. Sims, Elizabeth Reeves, 1982-1985 SIZE: .25 linear feet
SHELVING UNITS: 9 file folders
PROCESSING: RAA, March 1986
Rev. John E. Dawson organized LaGrange Female Seminary in 1842. The first class graduated in 1845, and in that same year the school received its charter. In 1854, the name was changed to Southern Female College. The campus was located in east LaGrange, in the vicinity of modern Dawson and Seminary Streets. The main building burned during the Civil War while in use as a hospital.
After the war, Ichabod F. Cox, who served as president of Southern Female College from 1857 until his death in 1887, built a new campus at the intersection of Smith and Church Streets, the site now occupied by the U.S. Post Office. The Southern Baptist denomination supported the school, and locals often referred to it as the Baptist College to distinguish it from LaGrange Female College, a Methodist school. Cox's widow, Mary, and son, Charles C. Cox, succeeded him as president. Because of the Cox family's long tenure the school was also occasionally called Cox College. In 1895, Charles C. Cox established a new school at College Park, Georgia, that was officially called Cox College.
In 1908 fire destroyed two of Southern Female College's buildings. Local alumnae organized a rebuilding program and by 1910 renovations were completed, but the school never recovered from the financial strain. In 1917, the trustees deeded the campus to L.J. Render, the school's primary patron. Render converted the buildings into apartments. They were torn down about 1960 to make way for the new Post Office building.
For more information see Clifford L. Smith, History of Troup County (1933, page 132-134), and Clark Johnson, "Minister Started Southern Female College", LaGrange Daily News, Bicentennial Edition, (23 February 1976, page 8).
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
Catalogues and other publications dating from around the turn of the twentieth century list faculty, students, and curriculum. A few photographs of students and college buildings are found in the publications. A memorial booklet for Charles Carson Cox, 1864-1905, published by his wife documents his accomplishments. Of particular interest is the 1909-1910 catalogue which lists graduates from 1854 to 1910, giving their name, year of graduation and home town.
Folder 1. Catalogue, 1896-1897 (photocopy)
2. Catalogue, 1909-1910 (lists all graduates to 1910)
3. Bulletin, 1911 (photocopy)
4. Memorial booklet for Charles Carson Cox, 1864-1905
5. Commencement program, 21-25 May 1897
6. Commencement program, 30 May 1900
7. Syllabus of lectures in industrial chemistry, 1891
8. Salmagundi, vol. II, no. 1, 1900 (literary magazine published by the college)
9. Salmagundi, vol. II, no. 3-4, 1900
10. College transcript, Mrs. Carol Moses, 1900
Letter of recommendation, Mrs. Moses, 1903
11. Autograph book, Mrs. Moses, 1899
RELATED PAPERS AT TROUP COUNTY ARCHIVES
MS-30, Daniel Family Papers
Cox, Charles Carson, 1864-1905 Women's Colleges
Education for women
LaGrange Female Seminary