PLUMBAGO GARDEN CLUB
Source: Mamye Shackelford, 1988; Mary Jane Crayton, 1998
Size: .4 linear feet
Shelving Units: 1 manuscript box
Processing: PHW, December 2000
The Plumbago Garden Club was formed in 1953 as part of the Elms and Roses Garden Club Council. The club actively participated in flower shows and special programs. The club won the sweepstakes award numerous times in the late 1950s and early 1960s in flower shows conducted by the Lions Club and the Garden Club Council. The club participated in the "Keep America Beautiful" project. In 1965, they dressed themselves up in clothes that had trash attached to them and handed out litter bags to passing motorists stressing the importance of not littering. The club also participated in the annual Christmas tour of homes and the Bicentennial celebration of the U.S. among other projects. The club disbanded on May 24, 1989.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection is comprised of yearbooks and minute books for 1953 to 1989. Yearbooks list members, officers, and committees. The yearbooks also give a program calendar which list projects and activities that the club has taken part in. Also contained are the constitution and by-laws for the Elms and Roses Garden Club and a program from the flower show, "Vive LaGrange" that took place in 1976.
Program for "Vive LaGrange: A Bicentennial Salute"(A Flower Show sponsored by the Elms and Roses Garden Club Council), 1976
Garden Clubs- Troup County
Elms and Roses Garden Club Council