PILOT CLUB OF LAGRANGE

Manuscript MS-142

1970-1989

 

 

SOURCE:Estelle Bennett, 1995

SIZE: .7 linear feet

SHELVING UNITS:4 volumes

PROCESSING:PHW, December 2001

 

HISTORICAL NOTE

            The Pilot Club of LaGrange was chartered on May 12, 1942.  The Pilot Club is a civic organization for business and professional women with its primary purpose being to serve the community and its needs and to reach out into the international community to provide assistance as needed.  During World War II the club helped support and operate the LaGrange USO for soldiers from Fort Benning and soldiers passing through LaGrange.  Lucky number drawings were held and winning soldiers were given a free, long distance phone call to anywhere in the United States.  Other wartime activities included the making of surgical dressings for the wounded and sending cartons of cigarettes to soldiers stationed overseas.  Over the years, community activities have included providing milk for underprivileged children at Dawson Street Elementary School, donations to West Georgia Medical Center, involvement with the March of Dimes, a diabetic clinic, and scholarships to local girls to attend LaGrange College.  The club also sponsored the organization of Anchor Clubs in the local high schools.

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

            The 4 volumes include brochures, correspondence, event programs, and news articles.  These provide information regarding activities of the club.  Also included are postcards from trips made by members of the club to international and regional club meetings.  Club Newsletters can be found in volumes 2 & 3 covering the time period 1979-1981.  The newsletters contain information about the clubs previous meetings, club projects, and club members.

 

CONTAINER LIST

4 volumes: 1970-1989

 

TRACINGS

Societies and Clubs – Troup County

World War II