PARKER FURNITURE COMPANY

Manuscript MS-071

1915-1985

SOURCE: Ted Parker

SIZE: 3 lf

SHELVING UNIT: 1 manuscript box
10 ledgers

PROCESSING: BNJ, 2008


HISTORICAL NOTE:

Parker Furniture Company opened its doors to the LaGrange public in 1904. From 1917 until 1933, the store operated at 21-22 West Court Square, now Lafayette Square, in a building now occupied by Mansour's. The company purchased the Williams McClure Grocery Company store at 116 Bull Street in 1938 and held an open house there on January 20, 1939. The company remained at this location until closing in 1985. The 1928 city directory lists C. A. Parker as President, J. M. Spikes as vice-president and P. W. Couch as secretary-treasurer. From a perusal of the earliest cash account books, one can see the home furnishings and buying habits of many LaGrange residents.

SCOPE AND CONTENT:

The collection consists of two folders of receipts dating from 1920-1937 and ten account books dating from 1929-1974. A 1972 Parker Furniture Company calendar featuring comic monkey drawings by Lawson Wood and a pair of "handitongs," a promotional item with "Parker Furniture" labeled on it, are also included.

CONTAINER LIST:

Box 1

Folders

1. Receipts 1920-1937
2. Receipts 1920-1933

Calendar
Tongs


Ledgers
Vol. 1. 1929-30
Vol. 2. 1932
Vol. 3. 1959
Vol. 4. 1960-61
Vol. 5. 1970-71
Vol. 6. 1972-74

Cash books
Vol. 7. 1959-60
Vol. 8. 1963-64
Vol. 9. 1970-71
Vol. 10. 1973-74

TRACINGS:

LaGrange Businesses