NEWMAN CONSTRUCTION COMPANY COLLECTION
SIZE: .4 lf
SHELVING UNIT: 1 Document Box, 17 folders
PROCESSING: BNJ, 2010
Newman Construction Company was organized in 1932 by James Rufus Newman (b. 1896; d. 1968) and Tom Hutchinson (b. 1904; d. 1979). James Rufus Newman was the son of John Rufus Newman and Dicey E. Seay. Tom Hutchinson was the son of Nathaniel Robert Hutchinson and Emma Pauline Witherspoon. Both Newman and Hutchinson were involved in the building trade before entering business together. J. R. Newman was president of the company, Tom Hutchinson was Secretary-Treasurer. Newman Construction Company is responsible for many structures in LaGrange. Among these are Pitts Hall (1943) and Quillian Building (1949) on the campus of LaGrange College, the Chapel at Callaway Gardens (1962), Callaway Stadium (1959) and the Callaway Memorial Tower (1929). The company went out of business in 2004.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The majority of the collection consists of cancelled checks and bank statements for the Period 1933-1944. Of note is a booklet depicting drawings and floor plans of Cape Cod Cottages offered by the company. Some of these cottages were built in the LaGrange area. A related collection, TRP-110, contains photographs of commercial buildings, schools and homes constructed by the company.
1 Document Box
TRP-110 Newman Construction Company photographs