MOUNTVILLE METHODIST CHURCH
SOURCE: Mae Towns, 1991; Mountville Methodist Church, 1996
SIZE: .3 linear feet
SHELVING UNITS: 3 items
PROCESSING: PHW, May 2001
Founded as Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church, Mountville Methodist Church was formed in 1828 under the direction of James Hunter. This was one of the earliest churches founded in Troup County. According to Smith's History of Troup County, services were held in a cabin owned by Thomas Evans. The first Sunday school class was held in 1866 and, in 1871, Dr. Joseph Bradfield donated a five-acre tract of land on which a new church was built. The property would later become Mountville Cemetery. In 1908, the Church bought land from Olin Carleton and built the present English Gothic style church building. In 1956, a Sunday school building was finished and dedicated as the Julian Callaway Memorial Building. The church remains active today.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The collection is comprised primarily of membership records for the church. The Official Membership and Church Record book for 1962-1986 sometimes gives a birthplace or community from which the member transferred. Pages in the back of the book lists ministers who served the church from 1828-1974. The Church Register, 1890-1962, includes a list of pastors from 1892-1928, a register of marriages from 1903-1959, a register of infant baptisms from 1903-1962, a register of members from 1890-1945, a resolution for acceptance of a pulpit scarf made by Mrs. Dollie Martin, and a cemetery lot map for the church with a list of those who paid for lots (c.1900). Also included is a photographic copy of the church register.
1 Official Membership and Church Record, c. 1962-1986
2 Church Register, 1890-1962
- copy of volume 2
Churches - Troup County