MOUNTVILLE COMMUNITY CLUB COLLECTION
SOURCE: Mae Towns, 1993
SIZE: 3 linear feet
SHELVING UNITS: 20 volumes
9 framed certificates
PROCESSING: RA 1993
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
Mountville Community Club was founded in 1950 under sponsorship of the Georgia Extension Service. The state wide project promoted improvement in agriculture and homelife of rural families through educational programs and annual competitions among neighboring communities. Awards were based on community inspection by a team of judges and on each club's annual scrapbook. Mountville's collection of scrapbooks (1950-1972) and awards comprise this collection.
Newspaper clippings and photographs document the activities of youth, church and school groups. Community improvement projects, such as cemetery cleanup, and individual accomplishments, such as food preservation or home remodeling, are featured in the scrapbooks. Membership rosters, lists of officers and committee reports are also included.
In 1954, the sixth grade class at Mountville Elementary School prepared a scrapbook on the history Mountville. Students conducted interviews with elderly residents and recorded the community's history through their stories.
Mountville Community Club continued to function after the Extension Service program ended in 1972, and is currently the only one of Troup County's rural community clubs which still meets regularly.
Volume 1 "The Story Of Mountville", 6th Grade, Mountville Elementary School, 1954
Volume 2-5, Mountville Community Club Scrapbooks, 1950/1953 -
1956/1957 (unboxed, hardcover)
Volumes 6-14 (softcover)
Mountville Community Club Scrapbooks, 1957/1958 - 1965/1966
Volumes 15-20 (softcover)
Mountville Community Club Scrapbooks, 1966/1967 - 1971/1972
Achievement certificates (framed), 1950-1972