LAGRANGE WOMAN

Manuscript MS-166

1912-2003

 

SOURCE:   LaGrange Woman’s Club

SIZE:  5 lf

SHELVING UNITS:  5 Boxes

PROCESSING:  BNJ, SGH 2010

 

HISTORICAL NOTE:

The LaGrange Woman’s Club was organized in 1908 by Mrs. Sallie Boykin Cary who served the club as its first president.  The club joined the Georgia Federation of Woman’s Clubs in 1909 with a goal of serving through civic, philanthropic and cultural endeavors.  At that time the club divided into departments following the Georgia Federation model with divisions that included civics, community service, garden, child welfare, and fine arts or music.   

The Woman’s Club has been very active in community development and other charitable activities. One of the primary purposes of the original founding was to create a public library, which was realized in 1921 when the club opened a library in their headquarters, the Heard Home, on Church Street.  In 1925, the club, in conjunction with the LaGrange Rotary Club, raised $25,000 in one day to build the LaGrange Memorial Library on the site formerly occupied by the Heard Home.  The name of the library honors those who fought and died in World War I. In 1942, the Callaway Community Foundation purchased “Bellevue” from the McLendon family for the club.  Bellevue was built by Confederate and United States Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill in the mid 1850s.  The home, which still serves as the club’s headquarters, was named a National Historic Landmark in 1976.  The LaGrange Woman’s Club maintains the home as a house museum and events venue.   

In addition to the club’s philanthropic efforts, the club has sponsored flower shows, antique shows, cooking schools, May Day festivities, and Fall Fashion Shows.  In addition, the music division of the club has hosted musical performances featuring various artists, both local and nationally known.   

SCOPE AND CONTENT:

This collection contains various records of the LaGrange Woman’s Club including minutes, newspapers articles and scrapbook photocopies, financial information, programs, correspondence and yearbooks.  With these items insight into the growth of the Club is available.   

CONTAINER LIST:

Box 1 – Music Section: programs, 1936 – 1990; minutes, 1951 and 1993; scholarships; financial information; guest performances; member list; correspondence; newspaper clippings; yearbooks, 1912 – 1913 and 2000 – 2002. 

Box 2 – Scrapbook, photocopies

Folders

1-6      1958 - 2008

7          2005 - 2009  

 

Box 3 -  Scrapbooks, photocopies

Folders

1          1937 – 1948

2          1949 – 1950

3          1951 – 1956

4          1957

5          1958 – 1966

6          1967 - 1976 
 

Box 4 – Minutes 1919 - 2003

Folders

1          1919 - 1951

2          1951 - 1980

3          1980 – 2003

 

Box  5 - Yearbooks in order from1958 to 2008.

 

TRACINGS:

Garden Clubs

Historic Homes

Service Organizations—Troup County

Women—Societies and Clubs