LAGRANGE THEATRE COLLECTION
LAGRANGE THEATRE COLLECTIONMS-175
SOURCE: Sue Hawkins
SIZE: 2 volumes
SHELVING UNIT: 1 document box
PROCESSING: BNJ, 2009
LaGrange Theatre, built by Lam Amusement Company of Rome, Georgia, at a cost of $125,000 and constructed by Newman Construction Company of LaGrange, opened August 18, 1933. The Main Street building was of Italian design. The first floor, which contained rooms for shops, was faced with pink and white marble. The interior was of a Louis XVI design. Although the exterior remained much the same, with the exception of a new marquee, the interior was refurbished in 1934 to allow a greater ease of set changes for live productions. A double wide screen was added in 1954. The interior was again re-draped in the mid 1960s and new seating and concession areas installed.
In 1987, Lam Operating Company filed for bankruptcy and the theatre stood idle until New Community Church leased the building in 1992. The building was destroyed in 2006 to allow the development of a new multi-screen theatre.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection consists of two notebooks from 1948. One notebook is a listing of movie posters and photographs, known as "Coming Attractions," that were received and displayed in the lobby of the theatre. From this list one can determine the movies that played in the theatre during the time period. The second notebook contains some drawings for building display boards and a possible listing of passes issued to area businesses and citizens.