LAGRANGE LIONS CLUB
DONOR: Members of the LaGrange Lions Club
SIZE: 3 lf
1 Manuscript box
1 Photograph folder
2 Record storage boxes
PROCESSING: BNJ, 2005
The LaGrange Lions Club was chartered March 14, 1929, with 29 members. Dr. R. S. O’Neal was elected as the first President. In 1991, the club changed its name to LaGrange Noon Lions Club. The club is a division of Lions International, Georgia District 18-E. The civic club meets weekly.
Through its members, the club aims to: create and foster understanding among all people; promote good government and citizenship; take an active interest in the civic, cultural, social, and moral welfare of the community; promote bonds of friendship between members; and provide a forum for discussing matters of public interest. In keeping with its motto, “We Serve,” the club, through the years, has provided many services to the local area including sponsorship of a municipal pool, lighting LaGrange High’s football field, providing scholarships for local graduates, and supporting youth related activities such as Little League teams, 4-H Clubs, Southern Peach Meet Invitational Swimming and Diving Championship, Boys and Girls Clubs, and the Good Shepherd Riding Academy.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
These papers relate the history and growth of the LaGrange Lions Club and service to the community. The papers consist mainly of club records in the form of minutes, financial statements, and membership lists. Four scrapbooks in the collection record the community service work of the club and its participation in state and national conventions. A 1991-94-membership notebook contains photographs and biographical information on members.
Box 1 District and Local Club History; Constitution, Minutes and Financial Statements,
Box 2 Budget, Officers, Membership, Melvin Jones Fellowships, Income Tax Returns
Box 3 Awards (1973-2002)
Scrapbooks and Yearbooks
Societies and Clubs
Troup County History
Troup County Schools