LAGRANGE COMMUNITY CONCERT ASSOCIATION
SOURCE: Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Cain
SIZE: .3 lf
PROCESSING: BNJ, 2002
The LaGrange Concert Council had its origins in a project of the Music Section of the LaGrange Woman’s Club in 1946. A meeting was held March 13, 1947 at the Colonial Hotel for the purpose of forming a Concert Association. Mr. Hubert Quillian was elected Chairman, Mrs. Eugene Baker, Co-Chairman, Miss Louise Bagley, Secretary and Mr. Hawley Smith, Treasurer. An Artist Committee of Mr. Pierce Blitch, Mr. Charles Allen, Mrs. Eugene Baker, Mrs. Alvin Davis, and Mr. William Deal was appointed. Miss Edna Duncan was named Chairman of the Ticket Committee and Miss Eleanor Orr was appointed Chairman of Publicity. According to the minutes the Music Section of the Woman’s Club signed up some two hundred guarantors and secured two concerts by outstanding artists during the winter of 1946-47.
The LaGrange Concert Association provided entertainment for LaGrange citizens until 1955 when the organization temporarily suspended operations for one year due to monetary difficulties. The last record is a 1957-58 membership list. During the 60s the concert association was revised as the LaGrange Mutual Concert Association.
[Note: The LaGrange Symphony Orchestra grew out of the LaGrange College Community Orchestra and was not a part of the LaGrange Mutual Concert Association.]
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The collection contains correspondence with performing artists, their agents, programs, staging diagrams, and membership drives. Minutes of the Council’s meetings are included as are two volumes of membership lists. The collection also contains a list of the World War II Combat Awards given to Dr. Emory Oslin Veale, brother-in-law of Miss Edna Duncan.
Societies and Clubs – Troup County