LAGRANGE CHAPTER, AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF UNIVERSITY WOMEN
SOURCE: Juanice Still
SIZE: .3 linear feet
SHELVING UNIT: 1 manuscript box
PROCESSING: JDG, 2008
The LaGrange chapter of the American Association of University Women was organized November 18, 1952, at LaGrange College at the urging of Dr. Waights G. Henry, Jr., president of the college. First officers elected were Dr. Bernice Freeman, president; Miss Verdie Miller, vice-president; Miss Isma Swain, secretary; and Miss Mary Thomas, treasurer.
The purpose of the chapter, as defined in their by-laws, was: “…to unite alumnae of colleges and universities on the American Association of University Women list of qualified institutions for practical educational work; to concentrate and increase their effectiveness in the community for the solution of social and civic problems; to participate in the development and promotion of the policies and programs of the AAUW; to contribute to its growth and advancement; and to cooperate in its state division and regional work.”
The chapter filed for discontinuance in the fall of 1980.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection shows the activities of the LaGrange chapter through its minutes and annual agendas. Included are copies of the chapter’s by-laws, correspondence, and a history summarizing the programs presented to the group from its inception through the late 1970s. Names of members and the colleges and universities they graduated are included. The organization proposed writing a biography of Troup County pioneer black educator, Ethel W. Kight, but was unable to complete the project. Correspondence, certificates, and a newspaper clipping outline the chapter’s victory in the 1976 Bicentennial Parade contest.
1 Membership lists, yearly programs, agendas, 1974-1979
2 Minutes, 1977-79
3 Papers and correspondence, history, by-laws, discontinuance, 1974-1980
Photographs – 1 Folder
Women’s Societies and Clubs