LAGRANGE BANKING COMPANY

Manuscript MS-130

1907-1940

LAGRANGE BANKING COMPANY

MS-130

1907-1940

MS-130
1907-1940

SOURCE: Robert Newman

SIZE: .2 lf

SHELVING UNIT: 1 folder

PROCESSING: BNJ, 2008

HISTORICAL NOTE:

The LaGrange Banking Company was organized in 1941 when nine LaGrange citizens applied for a charter to operate a bank. Signing the charter petition were J.E. Whitley, V. R. O'Neal, A. E. Mallory, H. H. Morgan, J. B. Daniel, W. H. Perkerson, B. W. Brown, W. B. King and L. M. Wyatt. LaGrange Banking Company operated on South Court Square in the remodeled LaGrange Banking and Trust Company building, which was constructed in 1906. When LaGrange Banking moved to its new headquarters on Haralson Street in 1980, it was renamed Commercial Bank and Trust Company. Furniture Liquidators moved into the Court Square building which was destroyed by fire in 1994.

SCOPE AND CONTENT:

The collection consists of a variety of receipts, deeds and insurance policy correspondence of W. H. Newsom, a Troup County farmer. Some deeds pertain to land in Coleman, Texas. Other individuals mentioned through receipts and deeds are W. B. Dunson, Joseph H. Britton, John T. Boykin and E. D. Williams. These items were found behind the safety deposit boxes of the bank when it moved to its new location in 1980.

CONTAINER LIST:

1 folder

TRACINGS:

LaGrange Businesses