HILLSIDE CONGREGATIONAL CHRISTIAN CHURCH
SOURCE: Herman Beard
SIZE: .3 lf
SHELVING UNIT: 1 Manuscript Box
PROCESSING: BNJ, SGH 2010
Hillside Congregational Christian Church was organized in 1921. Originally located in a building acquired from a Freewill Baptist Church on the corner of Jackson and Wilbur Streets, the members began a building fund in 1954 to relocate the church to the corner of Lee and Clark Streets. The new building was dedicated in 1958. The church closed its doors due to decrease in membership and lack of attendance in November 1999.
As a "Congregational" church, the church is governed by its own congregation rather than reporting to a higher authority, though they were a member of the East Alabama Association of Congregational Christian Churches. A fourteen member Board of Deacons and a five-member Board of Trustees tended to the affairs of the church.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains various records of the Hillside Congregational Christian Church from1921 to 2000. Included are the minutes of the Board of Deacons, financial papers, deeds, church bylaws and correspondence. The collection also includes membership transfer letters, bulletins, pamphlets and information regarding the church's contribution to the East Alabama Association of Congregational Christian Churches. Financial records show the growth and eventual demise of the church due to decline in attendance and membership.
Ledgers: Enrollment Ledger January 1945 Bank Reconcilement Notebook 1998 Financial Ledger - Building Fund Pledges 1948 - 1956
1 Bank Reconcilement, December '74 to November '75
2 Bulletins, mailings, pamphlet, letterhead, 1985
3 Church Constitution and Bylaws, 1974 - 1981
4 Church Officers and Membership Records, 1985
5 Correspondence and memorandum, 1969-2000
6 Deeds, 2000, from sell of church
7 East Alabama Association of Congregational Christian Churches, 1978 - 1985
8 Financial Records, 1989-2000
9 Letters of Membership Transfers, 1965 to 1990
10 Minutes Board of Deacons, September 1975 to November 1978
11 Minutes Board of Deacons, January 1979 to May 1986