FLAT SHOALS PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH

Manuscript MS-104

1829-1987

 

SOURCE: James A. Webb, 1991

SIZE: .2 linear feet

SHELVING UNITS: 3 volumes

PROCESSING: PHW, November 2001

 

HISTORICAL NOTE

Flat Shoals Primitive Baptist Church was organized on February 5, 1829. It was constituted as the Baptist Church of Christ, Troup County, known as Smith's Meeting House, on February 11, 1829. The name of the church was changed to Flat Shoals Church on February 20, 1830. Clifford Smith's History of Troup County (pp. 166-167) contains a list of pastors, deacons, and clerks that served the church from 1829-1933. The church had twelve charter members, four males (including one slave) and eight females. The church's historic cemetery is located across the road from the sanctuary. (See McClendon, Lambert, & Knights, Family, Church, & Community Cemeteries of Troup County, Georgia (p. 280) for a listing of persons buried in the cemetery as well as a short history of the church)

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

Contained within the 3 volumes (1829-1987) are minutes of monthly church conferences. Conferences dealt with church business, such as hiring of new pastors, choosing delegates for association meetings, and cases against individuals charged with misconduct. Charges ranged from drunkenness to not attending church without a legitimate excuse. Punishment consisted of exclusion from the church. Volume 1 contains the church constitution, church decorum, and Articles of Faith. The typical order for the church meeting included an invitation to join the church, a reception of members, and the handling of church business. The minutes include some names of church members but are not membership rosters.

 

CONTAINER LIST

3 volumes (1829-1987)

 

TRACINGS

Churches - Troup County