CANNON STREET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Source: Emily Preston Joseph
Size: 2.5 linear feet
Shelving Units: 2 records boxes, 7 volumes
Processing: SGH, 2011
Cannon Street Elementary School was built in 1951 by Daniel Lumber Company as part of the LaGrange City School System. Built to house 250 white students from the south side of LaGrange, the school included eight classrooms, an auditorium, lunchroom, library, clinic and principal’s office. A kindergarten class was added to the school in 1966 and the following year the first black students attended the school. By 1970, Cannon Street Elementary, as well as all other schools in the LaGrange and Troup County Systems had been integrated.
In 1972, nearby Southside Elementary School burned. Cannon Street was expanded to include students from Southside Elementary and renamed Southside Primary. Following a 1996 SPLOST funded enlargement, the Board of Education reinstated the original Cannon Street Elementary School name. The school housed grades Pre-K through fifth grade until the end of the 2011 school year when the school closed.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
This collection consists of the school’s yearbooks, student compiled Library Club scrapbooks and Principal’s Albums class photographs primarily from the years of 1995 to 2006.
The Principal’s Albums were class composite photographs contained in vinyl binders. For preservation purposes, the photographs have been removed from the binders and foldered chronologically.
1-7 Principal’s Albums, 1995-2006 School Year
8 The History of Cannon Street Elementary 1951-2011
9 Classic Cooking with Cannon Street
9 Library Club Scrapbooks, 1995-2004
RB 255.96-2004 Cannon Street Yearbooks, 1996-2004