CALLAWAY AIRPORT LAYOUT PLAN REPORT
SOURCE: Tommy Sheffield
SIZE: 1 volume
SHELVING UNIT: 1 notebook
PROCESSING: BNJ, 2008
Although Troup County had an airfield since the 1910s, Callaway Airport was built in 1936 as a project of the New Deal Works Progress Administration (WPA). During World War II, the airport was enlarged by the Civil Aeronautics Administration to include three 5000 foot runways. This addition allowed larger planes to land. Fort Benning and the Bell Bomber plant of Marietta, Georgia, (now Lockheed) used the airport for training purposes. When the war ended in 1945, the airport was returned to the city of LaGrange. Now known as LaGrange-Callaway Airport, the facility has been modernized by grants from the Callaway Foundation, Inc., and Federal Aviation Administration. In 1977, an Airport Authority was created to manage the facility and to plan for its expansion and growth into the 21st century.
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection consists of a one volume analysis of the airport "…to provide the Troup County Airport Authority with up-to-date recommendations for orderly development of the physical plant plus protection of its airspace and environs." The study prepared by Delta Associates of Columbus, Georiga, provides an inventory of the facility, a forecast of future expansion, and technical information on runways and approaches.
Airports, Troup and Harris Counties
Troup County history