BETH EL CONGREGATION

Manuscript MS-2004.04

1945-1968


SOURCE: Marvin Edelson

SIZE: 1 volume

SHELVING UNIT: 1 folder

PROCESSING: BNJ, 2007

 

HISTORICAL NOTE: Congregation Beth El, a minority religious group in LaGrange, a community with an abundance of Christian denominations, was organized in 1942. Temple Beth El has survived as a synagogue for over sixty years, sometimes with as few as ten members. The building currently home to Temple Beth El, on the corner of Battle and Church streets, was originally an Episcopal church built in the 1890s. Prior to acquiring the building, members met in each other's homes. Harry Edelson, father of Milton and Marvin Edelson, emigrated from Minsk, Russia, at age 16 and peddled in eastern U.S. cities before moving to LaGrange in 1921. After opening an Army Surplus Store with his son, Milton, Harry Edelson led the effort by local Jews to purchase the church building and convert it into a Jewish synagogue. Dedication services were held on August 19, 1945. Although membership has declined as children of Jewish families moved from Troup County, members still meet for a monthly Shabbat service and for special services.

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection consists of one folder of photocopied minutes from 1945-1968 that chart the course of the synagogue from early efforts to purchase a building, to hiring teachers, and to purchasing property for a Jewish cemetery. Membership in the congregation is included in the minutes.

 

CONTAINER LIST:

1 Folder

 

TRACINGS:

Churches-Troup County