AYRES MEMORIAL METHODIST CHURCH
SOURCE: Diana Thomas
SHELVING UNIT: 1 folder
PROCESSING: BNJ, 2007
HISTORICAL NOTE: Members of Ayres Memorial Methodist Church gathered on Sunday, April 28, 1957, to break ground for a new church building. Prior to this time, members had met for worship in a small wooden structure located near the new building site on West Point Road. Participating in the ground breaking ceremony were Gerald Morrison, chairman of the building committee; Aubrey Eley, building commissioner; Riley Middleton, pastor; Johnnie Ledford, Jr., church treasurer; W. D. Arnold, church school superintendent; and R. J. Ayres, Sr., building commissioner.
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection consists of Board minutes dating April 11, 1956 - November 15, 1960, and a copy of the minutes of the Woman's Society of Christian Service, North Georgia Conference, 1960, that lists churches in the LaGrange District of the North Georgia Conference. Of particular interest is a letter from the United States Post Office announcing the closing of the Gabbettville, Georgia, Post Office in 1975.