This Week in History (15 May 2011)
Archives | 05/19/2011
Built by local businessmen in 1888 as an expansion of the LaGrange Seed Oil and Manufacturing Company, LaGrange Mills brought the “first giant Corliss Engine… the first electric dynamo for lighting of the mill [and] a monumental smokestack” to the area. This week of May 1889, LaGrange Mills turned out its first yard of Cotton Ducking fabric. According to the May 16, 1889 issue of The LaGrange Reporter, the fabric was a standard 42 inches wide and weighed 32 ounces to the yard.
Smith, Clifford. History of Troup County. Atlanta: Foote and Davies Company, 1933. Print.
The LaGrange Reporter. [LaGrange, GA] 16 May 1889:5. Print.